Tuesday 1 December 2009

HQueue - the future of rendering and render farms

I am currently finding my way around SifeFX's Houdini. Everyday I sit down and learn something mind blowing about this piece of software. Working procedurally has totally changed the way I think about developing my projects and a whole new world of dynamics and particles is unfolding as I go. I thought this software was pretty cutting edge, then I had a look in sidefx.com today and realised these guys are way beyond cutting edge.

Side FX Have just released a public beta release of their new tool HQueue. This tool allows artists to essentially add an extra node into their network and submit their renders and simulations to the cloud computer that is Amazon EC2.

“Studios and artists can for the first time expand their computing power quickly and securely without worrying about buying new computers or finding space for an ever-expanding farm,” says Kim Davidson, President and CEO, Side Effects Software. “In addition, students and artists using Houdini Apprentice HD can let HQueue work for them on the cloud while leaving their workstation free for day-to-day work.”


HQueue Cloud interface


I have had my fair share of rendering nightmares and render farm slip ups, but if this works how they say it will, its is going to relieve some major headaches and completely change the way we work. Not to mention keeping my system free and production continuous. I will still be keeping my test renders local though, best excuse ever for coffee/tea/beer break.

Check out sidefx.com to see for yourself.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment