Thursday 10 December 2009

The best VFX Breakdowns, Cinemotion and Science

This is the first of what I believe will be post's purely based on what I have come across recently that has caught my eye, made me chuckle, or made me think "I should write a blog post about that".

Breakdowns

To start with AEtuts+ have posted a brilliant list of some of the best VFX breakdowns out there. I could watch them all night long. Especially the "Salty" a spot by Axyz, they reveal their secret to getting such great hdri solutions. Using "far-field" reference photos from the set as well as the usual HDR acquisition blended together to create great high detail lighting solutions for that super shiny ceramic look. I will certainly be experimenting with this, hell I might even post my experiments on here.

AEtuts+ are worth mentioning anyway. The tuts+ network is a great reputable source of all things creative and there is a vast selection of news, articles and learning all for free. I have discovered an array of knowledge through the network and hope to soon make my own contribution.

Cinemotion

A production house mentioned in the above breakdown list is Cinemotion. They are a Bulgarian facility and their 2009 fx reel has some really nice work. Check out their site and especially their making of section, you can browse the projects and see just how they went about achieving the spots. Some projects also have a before and after slider so you can interact with the breakdown, very nifty.

Science is cool

Finally I thought I would  mention my new favorite read of the day. New Scientist is a wealth of knowledge and I guarantee you will find something that interests you and makes you feel instantly more intelligent.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have quite enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I am going to be subscribing for the feed and I hope you write-up again soon.

    ReplyDelete